[OSM-talk] Numbers and i18n

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Mon Jul 31 06:35:16 BST 2006

Andrew Loughhead wrote:

> For me one difficulty, which I see as a barrier to entry, is the
> tag system. There was a really good post a couple of months ago
> explaining the UK etymology of "highway".  So it now kind of
> makes sense to me that tags like highway=footpath exist.

Since we now have a complete mess with some highway=footpath and
some class=motorway, that needs to be cleaned up anyway, perhaps
this is a good time to introduce numbers instead?  If the database
only stored type=14, then the user interface could show this as
Motorway, Autostrada or Highway, depending on the user's preferred
language (en.UK, it, or en.US).

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)