[OSM-talk] Numbers and i18n

Joerg Ostertag openstreetmap at ostertag.name
Mon Jul 31 07:21:49 BST 2006

On Monday 31 July 2006 07:35, Lars Aronsson wrote:
> Andrew Loughhead wrote:
> > For me one difficulty, which I see as a barrier to entry, is the
> > tag system. There was a really good post a couple of months ago
> > explaining the UK etymology of "highway".  So it now kind of
> > makes sense to me that tags like highway=footpath exist.
>
> Since we now have a complete mess with some highway=footpath and
> some class=motorway, that needs to be cleaned up anyway, perhaps
> this is a good time to introduce numbers instead?  If the database
> only stored type=14, then the user interface could show this as
> Motorway, Autostrada or Highway, depending on the user's preferred
> language (en.UK, it, or en.US).

Sounds like a nice idea to me. But we would need some kind of central XML File
coming with the introduction of this tag. Something like:

   <segment type=1>
      <naming lang=en name=Motorway>
      <naming lang=en_US name=Highway>
      <naming lang=de name=Autobahn>
      <rendering color= linewidth=  framing_width=... framing_color=
                 dashes=0:0>
      <visibility zoom_min=1000 zoom_max=10000000>
    </segment>
   <segment type=2>
      <naming lang=de name=Bundesstrasse>
    </segment>

This would enable us to keep these in sync on all editors and renderers.

--
Jörg Ostertag (München)

http://www.ostertag.name/