[OSM-talk] Tagging, map-features and rendering

Etienne 80n80n at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 09:22:06 BST 2006

On 5/31/06, Martyn Welch <martyn at welchs.me.uk> wrote:
<snip>

> I'm half tempted to tag all the segments as "highway=unclassified" so that
> they show up with Osmarender. Being able to print a nice A4 map of the basic
> paths would greatly aid my ability to walk around town working out what I've
> missed and where ways should start and end!

There is a rule in the osm-map-features.xml rules file that will
render all segments however they are tagged.  This is intended for
this purpose so you can see what you forgot to tag.  Just uncomment it
and then everything will show up.

> > [Osmarender hint: if you use the highway=residential tag the 40%
> > startOffset placement for the road name will invariably throw the name
> > off or truncate it because these roads are often very short. Editing the
> > file (in 2 places) to a more suitable number like 20% helps a lot]
> >

> Would it not be better to center the name in the middle of the road?

The next version of Osmarender will do this.  I couldn't figure out
the correct SVG to get it to do that until now.

> Martyn
>
> --
>
> Martyn Welch (welchm at comp.lancs.ac.uk)
>
> PGP Key : http://ubicomp.lancs.ac.uk/~martyn/pgpkey/