[OSM-talk] (UK) FreeThePostcode - we need your postcode inner parts

Nick Burch openstreetmap at gagravarr.org
Sun Jun 4 16:48:42 BST 2006

On Sun, 4 Jun 2006, Dan Karran wrote:
> Is the project interested in coordinated derived from finding the
> location on OpenStreetMap instead of merely direct GPS data gathering?

This has been raised on the "Talk:Free_The_Postcode" page, from which I
quote:

"Is there anything to stop people from looking up Postcodes based on OSM
and inputting the Lat and Long into freethepostcode? --Nick 17:13, 15 Mar
2006 (UTC)"

   "Nope, since you're looking at free data. Use streets, not landsat
   though as it can be way out. <snip> User:Steve"

JOSM is pretty good at showing you the lat+long for some streets
downloaded from OSM (it's in the bottom status bar)

I wonder if it might be worth having such entries tracked differently in
the database? Might also be worth having a dropdown for the source, eg

  GPS -> accept
  OSM streets -> accept
  OS map -> friendly page saying we can't accept it
  Codepoint -> friendly page saying we can't accept it
  Google maps -> friendly page saying we can't accept it

Nick