[OSM-talk] mark a way as secondary

Etienne 80n80n at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 15:02:36 BST 2006

Take a look at Google maps.  For mainland Europe motorways and primary
routes are coloured orange and yellow, whereas in the UK they are coloured
blue and green.  Then take a look at Japan - blue and orange.

(What's more, in Japan most streets don't have names - they use a
subdivision scheme made up of Prefecture, Ward and Chome -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_addressing_system).

Different regions are likely to have different expectations of what name to
use for a motorway (freeway, autobahn, motorway, etc) and what colour such
things should be.  I have no idea how roads are classified and described in
Mayotte and probably no-one else here knows.  We should explicity allow for
different schemes to be used in different regions.

>From personal experience of trying to map a few roads in California I have
to say that the map features scheme does not feel natural for freeways,
state highways, etc.  It would be better to have a more "local" scheme.

I have used the map features scheme because currently it is the most
comprehensive and best documented of the schemes available.  If anyone
produces and documents a better scheme then I will glady use it.  Maqp
features isn't perfect but it works quite well.

Osmarender explicity separates the rendering rules from the processor itself
so that anyone can create a renderer for any scheme.
osm-map-features.xmlis not the "default" rules file.  It is just an
example rules file.  If
someone devises a scheme that is better than map features then I would
quickly build a rules file for that scheme as well.

One problem with having multiple schemes in use (both now and in the future)
is the potential for overlap of tag names.  A scheme that used, as proposed
earlier in this thread, type=rail class=secondary together would overlap
with the current class based scheme where class=secondary is used to
describe a B road (in the UK).

Also, I'd strongly encourage new schemes to use some kind of namespace
prefix to prevent ambiguities resulting from the same tag being used in
different schemes with different meanings.  A namespace prefix would also
indicate to the user or client which scheme the tags belonged to enabling
them to lookup the scheme so that they can understand the meaning.

Etienne