[OSM-talk] OSM Foundation voting

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Fri Jun 23 18:41:15 BST 2006

On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 05:42:42PM +0100, SteveC wrote:
> > What I understood about the goal from the founding IRC meeting was:
> > 1. Make a credible way to contribute money to the project
> > 2. A way to pay people/pay for hardware and let people see where the
> > money is going.
> > 3. Have a structure that can take responsibilty for the project, not
> > relaying on Steve.
> > Perhaps OSGeo can do this for us, but not I'm not certain.
>
> 4. We don't really use many of the OSGeo tools/standards
> 5. They seem to be stuck in Committee Land

Well, there is a bit of truth in what you say. Structures get
established at the start that don't fit the eventual actions, and need
to be changed. I agree that 'committification' can kind of spawn
itself. :) but it's a vehicle for getting people to work together.

Right now OSGeo has only just decided how a project gets out of
"incubation" to be supported, and needs to get a few existing projects
past this before accepting new ones. At the same time I would be
really keen for OSGeo to support OSM/OSMF in any way it can, as a
mirror / redistribution site, or in getting the word out about how
well you're doing and how the coverage is growing... ;)

jo