[OSM-talk] What's in a road

Colin Mackay colin.mackay at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 23:26:13 GMT 2006

See inline comments:

On 02/03/06, Lars Aronsson <lars at aronsson.se> wrote:
> But where does one road end, and the next one begin?  If I include
> a motorway, should I also include its exits?  And how much of the
> connecting roads?  Everything within 1 km?  Or nothing at all?
> Should the connecting ramps be treated as a separate layer?

Rather than try and extract an entire road as one large entity, why
not extract it as multiple entities where each runs from a node with 3
or more links attached to another with 3 or more nodes attached.

I wouldn't include motorway slip roads. Isn't their an attribute for that?

> Is anybody adding attributes (labels, tags) to line segments for
> British and German motorways, to facilitate such an extraction?
> Do you add special attributes to the connecting ramps, so you can
> separate them from the actual road?

I'm sure I've seen mention of this.