[OSM-talk] naming of ways, and multiple ways per segment.

Simon Hewison simon at zymurgy.org
Tue Mar 14 14:22:08 GMT 2006

In my part of the world, there's a set of roads that comprise the
nationally defined route A598.

This is made up of street names

Ballards Lane
Regents Park Road
Finchley Road

(which on openstreetmap is made up of multiple segments)

So, the question is when creating ways from segments, do I create four
ways, one with the name "A598", one "Ballards Lane", one "Regents Park
Road", and one "Finchley Road" ?

When a segment is part of multiple ways like this, in what order should
the key/values have precedence?

For instance, if I defined the A598 as class=primary, but "Regents Park
Road" as class=secondary, and a segment within it as class=minor, how
should that conflict be resolved?  I reckon that key/values on the
individual segment should always take priority over that on a way laid
down over that segment.

(Not that it's an issue in this case)

By the way, thanks to Imi for such a speedy RC release of something that
makes use of the new API.
--
Simon Hewison