[OSM-talk] Re: [OSM-dev] API 0.3 - Map call

Etienne Cherdlu openstreetmap-L at gj0.net
Wed Mar 15 15:44:47 GMT 2006

On 3/15/06, Immanuel Scholz <immanuel.scholz at gmx.de> wrote:

> It is NOT the idea of OSM to predefine an ontology and then force the
> users to use this. That is the way which <insert here your favourite other
> GIS system> goes.

Agreed, however the users (us) do need to agree on some ontologies with some
degree of consistency in order to be able to do useful things with the data.

My preferred way is to namespace the tags I'm interested in so that they
don't conflict with those created by other users.  For example, I have
marked up part of the Portes du Soleil ski area using keys like
"opm:liftType", "opm:difficulty", etc.

The fact that these are just strings within OSM is fine, they can be
transformed into proper XML elements with a proper namespace declaration
outside of OSM, so it's no big deal.

What I do need to do is document the tag scheme I have used so that others
can contribute in a similar manner.  And, of course, build some nice tools
to use the data...

Etienne