[OSM-talk] Strange api behaviour

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Thu Mar 16 23:59:04 GMT 2006

* @ 16/03/06 09:49:24 AM tom at tom-carden.co.uk wrote:
> On 3/15/06, SteveC <steve at asklater.com> wrote:
> > * @ 15/03/06 06:08:12 PM openstreetmap-L at gj0.net wrote:
> > > And now it's stopped working again.
> > >
> > > This: http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.2/map?bbox=-0.5,51.3,-0.4,51.4
> > >
> > > Returns stuff like this again:
> >
> > Yes. This has highlighted that it isn't very practical as it stands to
> > support old and new API versions.
>
> > With 0.4 I'll introduce some clearer
> > versioning, so something like /api/current_version will tell you what to
> > use and each editor can decide what to do.
>
> And either they support the current version, or they say "sorry,
> current version of OSM not supported".  How is that different to now?

If an API goes away, the client gets 404. This is used in the REST API
to signal a node for example as been deleted. To remove the ambiguity,
something which says what the version is can be used.

> Unit tests for the current API, before writing the next version, would
> be a really good idea.

Yes. Anyone volunteer to write a script which creates a node, move it,
delete it, add tags...  and bomb if something weird happens?

have fun,