[OSM-talk] SVG from OpenStreetMap

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Fri Mar 17 14:56:10 GMT 2006

Hi Steve,
(cc'd to talk at openstreetmap.org for archives etc)

> The experimental SVG output looks very impressive. I have resisted
> commenting previously on the aesthetics of the output from a
> cartographic point of view because the OSM project has taken a time to
> reach a critical mass of data collectors and thus data to output.

Sure.  I think that's been the correct approach, and I've kept quiet about
aestetics myself too.  I'm hoping that with the excitement around the Isle
of Wight workshop we'll reach a tipping point soon where people with a
traditional cartographic background can really start to contribute.

> But
> now I would hope that interested individuals will continue the process
> of making this data into a potentially more functional output(s). There
> are obviously still problems to cross, and I imagine these will be
> compounded in heavily (data)-populated areas. Traditional cartographic
> problems of generalisation, over-crowding and type positioning (for
> instance) will need to be addressed.

Absolutely.  We have some interesting ideas up our sleeve for
generalisation - some truly novel stuff that won't require a complete
database to be useful.  Watch this space.

> Suggest you put this experiment in the "Neat stuff done with OSM data"
> on the wiki.

Good idea.  Done.

Tom.