[OSM-talk] Coastlines

Frank Mohr f_mohr at yahoo.de
Wed Mar 22 08:48:27 GMT 2006

Joerg Ostertag wrote:

>>But I'm not completly sure shorelines should go into Openstreetmap
>>since it's a... well street map. And I'm guessing a seperate project
>>would fit the need of shoreline tracing better, e.g importing GSHSS to
>>improve upon that.
>

> I personally would really appreciate having coastlines in the database too. My
> planed use for OSM is to import the vector data into gpsdrive. And it would
> be great if I don't have to download from 1000 different sources to get all
> the Data needed to draw a complete map.
> I don't see any obvious reason why the current Data structure cannot easily
> hold coastlines, river lines and city boarders besides pure street
> information.

the data structure can, but we should keep those datasets in different
namespaces as proposed for the piste maps

i tried to get city boarders
(by looking up the boarder on a paper map and then searching for boarder
makings in the wild and record them as waypoints)
but when i had to crawl into brushwood to find the next boarderstone
i stopped that
maybe thats easier elsewhere

frank