[OSM-talk] Running the applet offline (was: Tutorial videos)

Preben Mikael Bohn preben at chin.dk
Mon Mar 27 16:01:42 BST 2006

> I asked Steve about this several times and did not get to the data yet...
> :-(
>
> But he can't run away on the Isle for long. HA! ;-)

In any case the data could be extracted from the DB using the API anyway?

> There are install scripts to do this. A bit of tweaking here and there to
> get your apache point to the right stuff and so on. I guess about a couple
> of hours of work.

Hehe... :)

>> Actually for my own purpose I would not need data from the OSM server at
>> all;
>
> Then do you want to install the database anyway.. :-?

Well, I would need to start with the GPS tracks, and these needs to be put
into the database. And after this all the changes I make should also be
put into the database. But I don't need the OSM database data. :)

> You can extract a bit of help from
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Using_the_dev_server, although it
> is dev.openstreetmap.org - specific..

Very nice, thanks. :) However the stand-alone script for the applet does
not seem to work directly... So before I start setting up my own server I
guess I should try to make this work...

>> I only need a nice editor for my own data so I don't need to upload
>> first to a busy server and then using the editor online afterwards...
>
> I hope you do not things like the one cartograph I met once. He had to
> enter vector data from UTM projected maps and to not mess around with the
> main database, he just inserted the stuff into an other zone!!! "It is
> somewhere in the atlantic, so nobody bothers..."  ;-)

:-) No, I just need fast access to the data, that's all... :)

Best regards Preben