[OSM-talk] Running the applet offline (was: Tutorial videos)

Immanuel Scholz immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Mon Mar 27 15:47:48 BST 2006

Hi,

> Assuming that a snapshot of the DB could be made,

I asked Steve about this several times and did not get to the data yet... :-(

But he can't run away on the Isle for long. HA! ;-)

> how difficult is it to setup the other stuff?

There are install scripts to do this. A bit of tweaking here and there to
get your apache point to the right stuff and so on. I guess about a couple
of hours of work.

> Actually for my own purpose I would not need data from the OSM server at
> all;

Then do you want to install the database anyway.. :-?

You can extract a bit of help from
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Using_the_dev_server, although it
is dev.openstreetmap.org - specific..

> I only need a nice editor for my own data so I don't need to upload
> first to a busy server and then using the editor online afterwards...

I hope you do not things like the one cartograph I met once. He had to
enter vector data from UTM projected maps and to not mess around with the
main database, he just inserted the stuff into an other zone!!! "It is
somewhere in the atlantic, so nobody bothers..."  ;-)

Ciao, Imi.