[OSM-talk] ANNOUNCE: OSMF

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Fri Mar 31 05:06:23 BST 2006

SteveC wrote:

> > Alfred Nobel, Bill Gates, and Jimbo Wales have all gone this way.
>
> Um... The last one is slightly more complex, I thought they had members
> voted on by the community - that's what I was aiming for.

No, even Lukashenko's Belarus has a better voting procedure than
Wikipedia.  There is no registered membership in Wikipedia, no
checks that the voters are real people.  You can be voted down by
a dozen sock puppets. And nobody is going to vote Jimbo out of his
chairmanship. Jimbo's choice of the foundation model was very
controversial among the German Wikipedia community, and the German
Wikimedia chapter was thus organized as a membership association
(eingetragene Verein) instead.

As for the comment (by someone else) that everything is fine now,
I disagree.  Without having met you, Steve, I estimate that your
genius is 80% technical innovator and 20% organizer.  For the best
of OSM, others should take care of the administration and you
should be allowed to keep your mind on the technical, visionary,
and innovative parts.

Your story is quite different from Jimbo's.  He's an economist who
made his fortune as an options and future trader in Chicago in the
early 1990s, then decided to start a new career in the Internet
new economy.  But he's not a programmer, he has always surrounded
himself with other people to do that.  For some years he operated
the portal Bomis.com, which never was anything good, and as a side
activity started Nupedia and later, by fluke, Wikipedia.
Chairing the Wikimedia Foundation is his 3rd career, perhaps
similar to Vint Cerf's role in ISOC.

OSM is a fine project now and in the next 2 or 3 years.  But where
is it 5 or 10 years from now?  Is the idea durable enough for a
long-lasting organization?  Or should we widen the scope or join
more people to get a broader, longer-lasting platform?  What other
groups, e.g. Linux users grops, are there in London?  Is there a
British Wikipedia chapter yet?  Judging from
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK it almost seems so.
Does anybody here have any connection to these people?

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)