[OSM-talk] ANNOUNCE: OSMF

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Thu Mar 30 11:28:13 BST 2006

* @ 30/03/06 02:34:15 AM lars at aronsson.se wrote:
> SteveC wrote:
>
> > And yes, the F stands for foundation.
> > [...]
> > So, let's build something.
>
> The key issue for me is this: Will it be a closed and dictatorial
> foundation (Stiftung) or an open, transparent and democratic
> membership association (Verein)?  Since you sound so enthusiastic
> over the "F" word, I don't believe we have the same understanding
> of this issue.

Not really. The F word doesn't have the negative connotations to me...

> If you have a lot of money and want to ensure that it is used for
> a purpose that you alone decide, put the money in a foundation.

Er... I don't particularly want to be the one handling the money, I was
hoping someone else would.

> The board of the foundation can appoint its own members, so there
> is no need for democratic influence or control.  Andrew Carnegie,
> Alfred Nobel, Bill Gates, and Jimbo Wales have all gone this way.

Um... The last one is slightly more complex, I thought they had members
voted on by the community - that's what I was aiming for.

> If you want a lot of people involved, start a membership
> association.  Anybody can pay a fee and become a member and have a
> vote at the general assembly for who's going to be on the board
> and what to do with the money.  And the board reports back to the
> general assembly.

Again, that's what I was aiming for.

I'll reply further in the thread later. Hopefully off picking up a lot
of donated computers now...

have fun,