[OSM-talk] ANNOUNCE: OSMF

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Fri Mar 31 08:45:28 BST 2006

[Steve Coast]
> Er... No, that's just a question of finding time to do it and not
> wanting to hammer the database. I'd prefer to have it bittorrented
> on another machine too as it's a large thing (2 gig in binary, will
> be a lot bigger as an SQL file) to ship around.

Remember that SQL dumps compresses well.  I doubt it would end up as
2GiB compressed if the database file is 2GiB.

I suggest just making an SQL dump, run it throught bzip2, and make it
available for download using HTTP, FTP or bittorrent.  That would be a
low-overhead solution, and those wanting to convert the database to
something more useful for map programs can start right away using the
database. :)

Friendly,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen