[OSM-talk] Laser scanning

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Mar 31 12:10:38 BST 2006

Jim Ley wrote:
>Sent: 31 March 2006 11:50
>To: talk at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Laser scanning
>

>"Tom Carden" <tom at tom-carden.co.uk> wrote in message
>news:16e8cf860603310239t36268f89y4c171f0f2b336b3 at mail.gmail.com...
>>As for scanners on trucks, Google are into this in a big way (much
>>sponsorship of Stanford graphics department projects) and obviously
>>there's Amazon's A9 local search thing which offers street level views
>>of every building.
>
>The street level stuff is much more interesting to me - although not
>sideways but forwards - so you can recognise junctions - you tag a junction
>as confusing, then when you get routes from it, it shows you a picture of
>the junction from the direction you were coming from - has anyone got a
>forward facing camera mount for a bike or a car they could use on the IoW
>for this - to allow for quickly taking of these sort of pictures?

I've been taking photographs at each of the junctions in the area I am
mapping. Basically 3 at each T junction, more elsewhere plus often
additional front and rear facing photos and notable bends in the street.

I do this as a second pass along streets I have already logged by bike or
car. I use these photos to check street names and spot additional features
that I might want on a map but didn't get a precise location for.

It's also useful to take photos of the main road signs.

I've looked at trying to do it from the car or bike but I suspect that
taking screen shots from video output would be more practicable than still
imagery. Its not sensible to be trying to take shots on the move unless a
second person is available. So who's booked the tandem ;-)