[OSM-talk] Laser scanning (Video

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Fri Mar 31 14:26:36 BST 2006

On 3/31/06, Daniel Haran <chebuctonian at gmail.com> wrote:
> Since we're talking about automatically acquiring and recognizing
> data, one thing I've wondered about is whether streets signs could be
> automatically "read"/parsed, along with house numbers and traffic
> signs. Does anyone here know if the technology is getting advanced
> enough?

This is something I'd like to try, but I reckon that 'mechanical turk'
approaches would be best - e.g. for the IoW I'd like to try using
Flickr with triple-tags which could be used to annotate OpenStreetMap.
 For instance if a photo is geotagged with geo:lat=y and geo:long=x
and streetnametagged with streetname=blah, then we could use this to
set the name of the nearest street segment in OpenStreetMap, within
some threshold (e.g. 10m).

http://geobloggers.blogspot.com/2006/01/advanced-tagging-and-tripletags.html

There are plenty of edge cases where street signs aren't 100% accurate
for the actual name of the street though:
http://rodcorp.typepad.com/rodcorp/2004/07/london_street_s.html

:)

Tom.