[OSM-talk] OSM pdf manual

Nick Black nickblack1 at gmail.com
Tue May 9 23:48:21 BST 2006

On 5/9/06, David Groom <reviews at pacific-rim.net> wrote:

> I was thinking tonight of getting a friend involved in OSM (he's a
> geography
> teacher in Brazil).
>
> It then occurred to me that it is rather time consuming to search through
> the wiki finding info about:
>
> a) what OSM is about
> b) how to collect data
> c) how to edit data
> etc, etc,
>
> I thought it might be useful to create a pdf of all relevant info.
>
> As a start I thought a new page on the wiki to collect the text, and then
> or someone else, could volunteer to turn it into a pdf.
>
> Does this seem a good idea?

Yes.  I was talking with someone about this over the weekend in the IoW.
Maybe a Wiki isnt the best place for an introduction, a static web page or a
Wiki that requires a group consensus to change would be the best idea.  I
think also that there should be a very obvious "If you are New to OSM Click
Here" link on the main page, next to the applet - make it super obvious
where to go.  Remember - people attention spans at computer are less than 2
seconds (so they say).  I'm not sure what the deal with adding links to the
main page (openstreetmap.org) is - does it require admin?  I'm more than
happy to help with putting together a "beginners user guide" - lots of
screenshots, step by step.  I made an HTML help file for my family over
easter that covers using OSM with an Acer PDA, so i can encorporate parts of
that.

Sadly though, I have an exam in 10 hours so I'm going to bed to dream about
Spatial Access Methods and GML....

NIckb

David