[OSM-talk] Questions from a newbie on editing

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Sat May 13 02:38:33 BST 2006

Laurence Penney wrote:

> Is the advice on the OSM site out-of-date that newbies should
> use the online applet?

I don't know why, but it seems your posting (from May 2 ?) was
delayed by 10 days.

I guess things are about as bad as you fear.  Beware that
roads/ways and annotations are new features, and the applet has
good support only for simple line segments.  For example, I
haven't figured out how to split a way into two, or how to add
nodes and line segments to the middle of a long way. As a newbie,
it would be sufficient to upload tracks and draw line segments.
Most of the map was done like that in the last year, before ways
were introduced.  Between St. Petersburg and Murmansk is a long
chain of thousands of line segments, and I refuse to use the
applet to click that into a way.

Recently, much energy has been absorbed by the OSM Workshop on the
Isle of Wight, by the installation of new servers, and by various
ideas on setting up a foundation or association.  And coming up
this weekend is Mapchester.  Things might calm down next week, or
perhaps they'll never do, now that founder Steve Coast has all the
media attention.

Use your wiki user page to write a diary of your frustrations.
The old users have forgotten what is frustrating to a newcomer, so
every clue us needed.  I'm user:LA2

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)