[OSM-talk] Linky to geograph/OSGB

Barry Hunter barry at barryhunter.co.uk
Sat May 13 22:19:21 BST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Barry Hunter" <barry at barryhunter.co.uk>
To: "Lars Aronsson" <lars at aronsson.se>
Sent: Saturday, May 13, 2006 10:17 PM
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Linky to geograph/OSGB

> Lars Aronsson wrote:
>
>> Paul Dixon wrote:
>>
>> I'm one of the Geograph developers, and following this thread with
>> interest.

And another (but I have lurked for long time ;-0)

> Great to have you here!
>
>> The website as a whole is not CC licenced, i.e. we haven't
>> licenced the whole thing to visitors as a derivative work. The
>> site is a collective work of individually licenced
>> contributions.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of Britain, so I cannot
> make any contribution to the website now.  But when I browse
> around, I see thumbnails of photos placed on a solid light green
> background.  If I understood the press release right, the website
> will start to display Ordnance Survey maps this autumn, and I
> presume this will be used instead of the light green background.

Actully the main aim of the maps would be to pinpoint photos both at
submission and image viewing stages. Mixing the maps like this is less
likly, for these very reasons,

> If I capture a screenshot then, I will have a mash-up that is a
> derivate work of contributed photos and OS maps.  If the photos
> are licensed using a Creative Commons Share-Alike license (CC-SA),
> the resulting derivate work must also be CC-SA.

Nope, we could not release such a map under CC as we don't/wouldn't have a
licence from the OS to do so. You can only licence what you have the right
to do so!

Barry
Geograph Developer 2