[OSM-talk] Re: One way streets

Simon Hewison simon at zymurgy.org
Wed May 17 17:13:15 BST 2006

Simon Hewison wrote:
> Christopher Schmidt wrote:
>
>> It would mean that you couldn't desecribe a one way circle this way:
>>   _
>>  / \
>> |   |
>>  \_/
>>
>> but certainly a one way circle is probably going to be a relatively
>> uncommon case in roads...
>>

> You've just described a roundabout. There's thousands of those. Big
> ones, small ones, even some that you can traverse in either direction.
> Many motorway junctions in Europe are one-way circles.

Further to this discussion, I've analyzed planet.osm, and my silly
little perl script managed to find quite a few of these as ways already
in the database.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Looping_ways

This also sort of references the ways with segments the wrong way
around, some of which accidentally get picked up as a looping way.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Stats#linear_way_analysis

--
Simon Hewison