[OSM-talk] Flash and freedom (Was: Java and freedom)

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Thu May 25 08:19:05 BST 2006

[Richard Fairhurst]
> Understood. I can't do the latter because I don't speaka da
> language.  My aim in writing a Flash editor, as it would be in any
> development project, is to make something so good that the choice is
> easy - to write an in-browser editor that reaches the dizzy heights
> of excellence that JOSM does as a standalone.

You are of course free to do whatevery you like, but personally, I do
not see the gain of writing another viewer with non-free dependencies.
Macromedia Flash is even more locked in by the vendor than Java.  the
specifications are only available if you sign a license agreement
saying you must always implement the latest specification (which can
change at any moment when Macromedia find it convenient), and you are
not allowed to write your own viewer competing with the macromedia
viewer.

This is part of the reason why the free software viewers for flash are
making such slow progress.  Gnash,
<URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/> seem to be the best one at
the moment, but it too have a long way to go before it will run all
flash applications.  And it is just the latest in a long row of
projects trying to implement the ever-changing flash format. :)

Friendly,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen