[OSM-talk] Flash and freedom (Was: Java and freedom)

Thu May 25 08:49:10 BST 2006

Petter wrote:

> This is part of the reason why the free software viewers for flash are
> making such slow progress.  Gnash,
> <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/> seem to be the best one at
> the moment, but it too have a long way to go before it will run all
> flash applications.  And it is just the latest in a long row of
> projects trying to implement the ever-changing flash format. :)

I'm interested to see (in the Gnash docs) that the Gnash developers use
Ming to generate SWFs to test against. Since Ming's what we now have
installed on the OSM server, and what I always use to generate SWFs (I
don't own a copy of Macromedia Flash itself), producing SWFs that Gnash
will run should be reasonably easy.

Richard