[OSM-talk] Residential areas

Etienne 80n80n at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 11:43:31 GMT 2006

On 11/1/06, Chris Morley <c.morley at gaseq.co.uk> wrote:

> Etienne wrote:
>
> > Does the following proposal satisfy all the requirements:
> > 1) Preserve the current rendering behaviour of highway=residential (but
> > mark it as deprecated)
> > 2) Use highway=unclassified, residential=yes to mark up roads with
> > houses along them
> > 3) Use landuse=residential to demarcate the residential areas
> > 4) Do not overlap areas that use the landuse tag unless they really do
> > overlap and are tagged as different layers.
> >
> If you are going to introduce a new key "residential" you might as well
> allow it to have values left and right (based on the segment direction)
> to handle the streets with houses on one side only. (I look forward to
> seeing how Osmarender would deal with it.)

residential=left|right|yes

The implication of the above proposal was that the residential tag would
*not* be rendered (at least not by Osmarender), but just provide
information.  It would be used to provide additional data in the case where
the road has been tagged as unclassified *and* landuse=residential has been
used to shade the area.  It would not be used for rendering because
landuse=residential is doing that job.

Keeping both abutters and landuse might have some advantages. I take
> landuse to be more precise, whereas abutters are to give a feel for the
> area. You can map with abutters from the road, but you need to get round
> the back or have a high resolution arial photograph to properly
> delineate landuse in villages set in farmland.

Abutters can still be used, as can highway=residential, but neither should
be used in combination with landuse=residential otherwise the results are
ugly.  And the point of landuse=residential is to provide a cleaner look
than the abutters approach.

It is not easy to get high precision for any of the landuse tags unless the
borders are accessible.  I think in most cases it will be an approximate
characterisation rather than definitive zoning.

80n

Chris