[OSM-talk] Residential areas

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 12:11:51 GMT 2006

On 11/1/06, Etienne <80n80n at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree that abutters is a poor implementation and was only invented at
> the time because we had no mechanism to describe or reder areas.
>
> If we dump the rendering of abutters many existing maps are going to lose
> some detail next time they are rendered.  Is this acceptable?

It'll have to happen eventually, but people may get upset if it happens
without warning. How about marking it as deprecated on the wiki
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Map_features#Abutters straight away,
then making it an easily-turned-back-on option in osmarender a couple of
months later, then ignoring abutters completely thereafter? Or is OSM still
small enough that things can be changed more quickly?