[OSM-talk] Residential areas

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Fri Nov 3 12:25:47 GMT 2006

The problem is abutters on *segments*, yes?

Since Etienne proposed a tagging for Ways to replace this, how feasible
would it be to run a pass over the database which adds the new tag to those
ways which have segments with abutters, splitting ways which have marked
segments only covering part of the way?

Rather than residential=yes, which would, I think proliferate as
<anytype>=yes, why not simply retain abutters=<whatever> but for *ways* not
segments.

Would this change not also be the opportunity to abolish segments! That
obviously needs more time and thought, but the two seem to me to be
different manifestations of the same problem. So I agree that deprecating
abutters *on segements* (or anyting else on segements) seems the way forward
to me for now, once a firm alternative has been agreed.

Dave