[OSM-talk] Croatian taging and color schema

Ralf Zimmermann Ralf at Zimmermann.com
Sun Nov 5 19:05:40 GMT 2006

Dubravko Penezic wrote:
> openstreetmap highway attribute describe street which in my case cover
> only city up to 10000 people

Which definition (10000 people) are you referring to?

 > ... so I add 3 new value :
> street_avenue - for citiy avenue
> street_main - for main street in city
> street - for city street

That means you are not using "primary", "secondary" and "unclassified"
for streets inside cities. Is there a good reason for this?

My biggest concern with this is the following:
If you have a navigation system using OSM data, it needs to know about
the tags that are specific for Croatia, otherwise it cannot display and
route those streets correctly. If the navigation system does not know
that street_avenue is a wide street, it will not use that street for
routing of a vehicle.
I think this idea of yours needs a bit of discussion in order not to end
up with Croatian data being incompatible.

As for changing the color scheme, that is ok as everybody can do this as
he likes according to his rendering needs.

Ralf
Munich, Germany