[OSM-talk] Proposed new features highway value for in town description

Dubravko Penezic dpenezic at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 20:45:35 GMT 2006

More about you may found on

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Highway_In-Town_Street

Thanks Ralf for help :) ... I didnt expect that anyone look on page
when I create it.

I must said that we stuck in discussion, one of reason is fact that we
stick with UK centric vision of street description, and now try to fit
everything in that schema.
That isnt good from my point of view.

I check one again all highway value and found next :

* 6 value for street with surface name outside of town (motorway,
trunk, primary, secondary, unclassified, service)

* 3 value for street with surface name in town (residential,
unclassified, service)

It is big disproportion.

Lets forget for a moment what is a name of street ...

Outside of town we have highway that for sure is special ... motorway and trunk.
I think that value fit to any road map schema on world. For now on I
will call it special highways.

Rest of out of town value are :
primary,
secondary,
unclassified
service

I found that Dean Earley ask for tertiary road so I will add it on
list also. That I will call out of town highways.

Finale in town we have next highway value :
residential
unclassified
service

I found also David.earl proposed urban value and I add street_avenue,
street_main, street, plus I recognize today I miss one more parking.

To sumarise all category for now ( i will gave each value code ) :

S - Special hihgways
=================
S1 -  motorway
S2 -  trunk

O - Out of town highways
===================
O1 primary
O2 secondary
O3 tertiary
O4 unclassified
O5 service

I - In town highways
===============
I1 street_avenue(urban)
I2 street_main(urban)
I3 street
I4 unclassified
I5 service
-----------------------------
I6 residential
I7 parking

O.K ... if you look better you will found I did some organisation of
value which will help in disscusion :)

Let start again

* S value of highway dosnt have any impact if is in town or not.

* value O1-4 and I1-4 describe 4 types of highway in and out of town
and may benefit of using description inTown/outTown

* I6-7 isnt type of highway, they represent highway suroundings (we
may add industrial, shopping, etc.)

To conclude after all evidence put on table to do next :
* do better description on Map feature page
* add new value for highway ... tertiary
* add new attribute in_town (yes or no)
* clarify that O1-5 and  I1-5 have same highway value but different
in_town attribute value
* I6-7 try to found how solve that issue

Dubravko