[OSM-talk] New Popular Edition in JOSM

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Sun Nov 12 11:11:00 GMT 2006

I would like to announce the addition of New Popular Edition support to the
landsat plugin in JOSM. It works in exactly the same way as Landsat; you
select New Popular Edition when you're downloading, and when the image has
downloaded you can adjust its position with the same toolbar button as for
adjusting the position of Landsat.

Due to changes I made in JOSM itself, and the addition of a third party
library to convert between OSGB gridrefs and WGS84 lat/lon (Jonathan Stott's
jcoord) you need a special version of JOSM to run this. This is available at

http://www.free-map.org.uk/downloads/josm/josm-1.4-nw2.jar
http://nick.dev.openstreetmap.org/downloads/josm/josm-1.4-nw2.jar

Source tarballs of the modified version of JOSM are available from the same
locations.

The landsat plugin (it's still called landsat even though it supports NPE
too... maybe it should be renamed 'wms') that you need is available at:

http://www.free-map.org.uk/downloads/josm/1.4-nw2/landsat.jar
http://nick.dev.openstreetmap.org/downloads/josm/1.4-nw2/landsat.jar

A few points to note:

* You'll probably want to make your colours darker and line widths wider in
elemstyles.xml or in the preferences, so that they show up better against the
NPE background.

* Due to the NPE alignment issues you probably will have to adjust it
slightly. You should look at several roads in the area to make sure they're
all reasonably well aligned.

* It is a little slow so a reasonably fast machine is recommended.

* I've used the source=npe tag when creating ways from NPE maps.

Nick