[OSM-talk] Openstreetmap most up-to-date map

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 14 12:29:57 GMT 2006

Congrats! That is something special, to be the first ever mapper..
I've had that privelage myself a couple times, in Brighton there's load of new development below the train station;
and in San Jose, before Where 2.0, I did a bit of acquisition on former apple orchards
http://brainoff.com/weblog/2006/06/05/1156

Ironically, one common criticism of OSM is that the data will never be as accurate as traditional providers.
Yet it's exactly the opposite .. OSM is more accurate and current due to its openness and trust, while other
commercial and government estimates have about 1-2 year turn around on distributing changes
(from the actual change, to notification, to ground truthing, incorporation in their db, to distribution to customers
and printing).

In the UK, there are companies which simply monitor changes with local authorities to produce geographic
change notification reports. Navteq and TeleAtlas has made arrangements with local authorities to receive changes,
and also employ screen scraping to gather data.

http://wired.com/wired/archive/14.10/mapquest.html

As you say, there's no common format for publishing changes, or distribution or notification system.
Truly this information is in the public domain, but those producing it lack the resources to make it useful.
Hence, private companies stepping in to aggregate.

There's nothing stopping us from doing this in an open way.

Jo Walsh did a bit of work, screen scraping planning applications in East London.
I used that data for visualization http://worldkit.org/londonplanning/

It doesn't necessarily require precise geo-referencing of the changes. With a general idea of the area a particular source
is coming from, that gives enough to notify interesting humans into investigating further. This will be the biggest
challenge once an area is complete .. keeping track of changes in a completed OSM area.

I could see this as a distinct project. Sources of change can be identified, and scrapers configured, within a wiki,
similar to katrina list. This populates a database with fuzzy georeferencing. GeoRSS feeds are available for
subscribing to change in a particular area. Such a useful thing, in the public interest, I could see finding support for this.

-Mikel