[OSM-talk] calling all python coders for slippy map help

Raphaël Jacquot sxpert at sxpert.org
Thu Nov 16 22:13:02 GMT 2006

Schuyler Erle wrote:

> It seems very probable that the big slowdown is the LRU cache's
> maintenance of its internal heap.  Amaury made noises on IRC about
> throwing data away more intelligently.  Perhaps he can expand on this?
> I don't fully understand the format of the planet.osm file.

simple. if you are to enter everything in a database, use that database
as a data storage (what it does best), and treat the planet.osm file as
a pure stream of objects, containing successively all nodes, all
segments and all ways.
each object is a work unit on its own, just treat them as such, junking
all temporary data after handling it.