[OSM-talk] Fw: calling all python coders for slippy map help

Nick Black nickblack1 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 12:50:41 GMT 2006

On 11/17/06, Mikel Maron <mikel_maron at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > OK I see. I thought the idea was to re-render a tile when someone made a
> > change, but obviously I got that wrong. If this is the case, the tile
> > server will essentially have purely static tiles, so there will be no need
> > for a caching system. So is there really a lot else to do regarding
> > development on the tile server?
>
> There will be tile invalidation, but I can't see it being effective to process as a stream ..
> edits in a single area would result in repeated invalidation and regeneration.
> So some kind of batch processing .. perhaps daily, weekly, maybe hourly.

What about basing tile regeneration on tiles areas that have been
edited heavily, so only areas with recent edits are regenerated and
set a threshold of n edits per tile to cause regeneration?   A
potential problem with this would be the need to regenerate the lowest
zoom levels every time anyway, but the higher the zoom level the more
important is is that the tiles are up to date.  If its the lower zoom
levels that cover large areas that take up the most time, could they
be scheduled to be regenerated less frequently?

Nick