[OSM-talk] Abandoned railways

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Nov 18 22:45:06 GMT 2006

Ben Robbins [mailto:ben_robbins_ at hotmail.com] wrote:
>Sent: 18 November 2006 10:40 PM
>To: Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk; talk at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: RE: [OSM-talk] Abandoned railways
>

>If there is a status=disused, then should it not be status=abandoned
>additonal to the railway=xyz?  Although would the status=abandoned render
>just have to render over the railway=xyz?  and in that case the
>status=abandoned would need to render a thick invisble line so as if
>nessesery it can cover airstrips and other wide things.
>
>Ben

If its still railway related (rather than having been turned into a
highway=cycleway for instance) the it should still be railway=rail.
Additionally it then should have the status=dismantled or status=abandoned.
You could also have status=live but that would be the assumed default.

When rendering, the rendering software should pick up the status=abandoned
or whatever and apply the appropriate style depending whether it's a
railway=rail or aeroway=runway or whatever the physical feature is.

Cheers

Andy