[OSM-talk] Newbie - queries and usability suggestions

Robert (Jamie) Munro rjmunro at arjam.net
Mon Nov 20 12:42:14 GMT 2006

Lars Aronsson wrote:
> Calum Polwart wrote:
>> I've uploaded a track, and started doing some mapping from it.
>> That's fine.  But because my track in above 54' N it doesn't
>> render on slippy.
>
> The new slippy map is useless.  The old slippy map was useless
> too, but in different ways.  Every approach I have seen has been
> useless in its unique way.

The new slippy map is most certainly not useless. It's just still a
beta. It's a lot more useful that the previous map was getting (in the
areas it covers), and is getting better. I expect making it more up to
date and covering the whole world is a much simpler problem than getting
it to the stage it is at now.

> Ultimately, we need some solid GIS experience on how to make the
> database, API and slippy map generation fast and scalable.  A new
> tile must be generated in a tiny fraction of a second (20 ms or
> so), independent of the scale, and it must be possible to
> invalidate only the right parts of the tile cache.

I disagree. If an edit can appear on slippy within an hour, that is
easily fast enough (as long as people are made aware that they should
expect up to an hours delay). I don't know what the rate of tile
invalidation will be

>  In a map of
> England, the tile that covers London is the real challenge.  It is
> based on many thousands of line segments, and doesn't really need
> to be redrawn if only a small street is modified.

Really it should only include roads that are major enough to show up -
an algorithm based on road length might be a good method to pick
important roads. Tile invalidation would only happen at low zoom levels
if a long road was edited, and possibly only if it was edited 'enough'.

Robert (Jamie) Munro