[OSM-talk] Newbie - queries and usability suggestions

Nick Whitelegg nick150971 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 20 13:15:07 GMT 2006

Lars Aronsson <lars at aronsson.se> wrote:

The new slippy map is useless.  The old slippy map was useless
too, but in different ways.  Every approach I have seen has been
useless in its unique way.

So how can you avoid apathy and cynicism?

Such a statement needs qualification. Exactly why is it useless? OK it has some flaws, but people are working on them to resolve them. OK it only has central and southern England at the moment, not the whole world, but that's being worked on. Remember this is open source software, done by volunteers in their own time, and personally I think that everyone's done a very good job. Look at how OSM was 12 months ago. I'm sure

As for apathy and cynicism, I see none of it in evidence. I see an enthusiastic community, one who's prepared to traipse round random streets on a wet, dark November evening to create free maps. One who's prepared to spend their free time developing software to make use of free mapping data. I am firmly of the view that positivity and compliments, rather than nay-saying, is the way to grow a project. :-)

Nick