[OSM-talk] Route/flight tag

David Sheldon dave at earth.li
Tue Nov 28 11:04:53 GMT 2006

On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 10:51:21AM +0000, Paul Youlten wrote:
> I think it has value to OSM - just think of the thousands of people that
> fly every day.
>
> Clearly there is a lot of variation in the flight paths - but with
> enough data, combined with altitude information you could make a useful
> map for people thinking of buying a house near an airport (for example).

No, it has value to the world, not value to OSM. This sort of GPS data
will just confuse people trying to create maps. OSM is a maping site,
not a repository for all of the world's free geodata. Trying to squeeze
more and more features into something that can't cope with its current
job is just a way of making everything even slower and more broken.

David
--
"Access is really sh!t; I can't believe people actually store data in it."
  -- jmm