[OSM-talk] Route/flight tag

Dave osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Tue Nov 28 11:07:54 GMT 2006

On 11/28/06, Paul Youlten <paul.yellowikis at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think it has value to OSM - just think of the thousands of people that
> fly every day.
>
> Clearly there is a lot of variation in the flight paths - but with
> enough data, combined with altitude information you could make a useful
> map for people thinking of buying a house near an airport (for example).

The problem is that there isn't any obvious way at the moment to exclude
sources of GPS data when you ask for points for a region. Coupled with
people who see a GPS track and segment it without knowing anything about the
area, you could end up with some interesting maps being formed. I think
there's someone flying around SW london in a helicopter judging by some of
the tracks there are here... and as someone who's trying to map the area
under the heathrow approach path, if this whole GPS on a plane thing gets
popular, it's gonna make it difficult to see what's going on, london's a
mess as it is, but with the way the planes just go round and round and round
waiting to land, most of SE England would look like a roundabout ;-)