[OSM-talk] Prolification of the amenity tag

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Wed Nov 29 14:46:38 GMT 2006

>>It's a valid point but I think that things like bubble-gum machines, or
>>other custom data, would be best served in a mash-up. If someone wanted
>>do an OSM-based mashup of bubble-gum machines, it would be quite easy to
>>develop (e.g. combine the OSM map as a base layer and overlay markers of
>>bubblegum machines as in your typical Google mashup).

>>Storing custom data in OSM itself necessitates rendering extra maps, and

>>storage of extra tiles... something requiring much more overhead than a
>>simple mashup. If each type of "special interest" data required its own
>>renderer, the number of renderers, and the amont of storage required,
>>would quickly escalate.

>Nick
>I hope the number of rules files for renderers does quickly escalate.
There needs to be a very different rendering of maps for golf course, ski
>resorts, theme parks, unversity campuses, motor racing circuits, etc,
etc.

True, I didn't think about those sorts of uses TBH - and it would make
perfect sense. Each golf course/ski resort etc could easily create a
custom OSM map of their area with only minimal disc storage. When I voiced
concerns it was more about someone creating a whole map of the world or
even UK using custom rendering rules - an approach I had in mind in the
past but now due to the slowness of on-the-fly rendering and the
disc-space requirements of static rendering, something I would not really
consider now.

Nick