[OSM-talk] Delete gpx points in JOSM

Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany) openstreetmap at ostertag.name
Thu Nov 30 16:09:57 GMT 2006

On Thursday 30 November 2006 12:22, Scott wrote:
> On 11/30/2006, "David Sheldon" <dave at earth.li> wrote:
> >On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 11:05:49PM +0000, scott wrote:
> >> Thanks for the help with the 500 error.  Next question I have is:
> >>
> >> Can I delete gpx points once loaded before converting them to data
> >> points?  Some of the roads I travel are already in the db and it seems
> >> pointless to merge all of my trace.  I tried dragging a box around them
> >> but it does not seem to select gpx points.
> >
> >It's best not to use the JOSM feature to automatically convert GPX
> >points to data nodes. It makes routes that are very dense, much better
> >to do it by hand.
>
> Now this really gets to what was eating at me.  My traces are very dense
> in places where I was moving slowly (under the speed limit :-)
>
> I was wondering if there was some optimisation occuring to remove points
> that were on a straight line to reduce the density and prevent bloating
> of the db.  If there isn't then, like you say, I will need to edit the
> xml file by hand?  That sounds pretty boring and error prone.  I might
> try to modify JOSM/add a plugin if that's the case.

<ADVERTISEMENT ;->
You might try to use osmfilter for your initial track-->osm conversion.
osmfilter can and does reduce the points in more than one of your described
ways. It filters out all points which are in a streight line (less than 5m
derivation) but stops combining points after 500m, ...
To read more, do "osmfilter.pl --man"
</ADVERTISEMENT ;->

Joerg