[OSM-talk] Tagging areas

David Groom reviews at pacific-rim.net
Fri Oct 6 23:17:39 BST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christoph Eckert" <ce at christeck.de>
To: <talk at openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Friday, October 06, 2006 7:43 PM
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Tagging areas

> Argh,
>
>> Map features defines natural=water, which works perfectly for me.
>
> thanks a bunch. Now I learned what map features is for :) .
> Anyway, another problem has risen. I created nodes, then segments and
> made the lakes a way:
> http://christeck.de/stuff/natural-water01.png
>
> Then I assigned natural=water. Now the contour was damaged in JOSM:
> http://christeck.de/stuff/natural-water02.png
>
> All segments have been drawn in the same direction, if that matters. But
> regardless that it looks a bit weird in JOSM, it rendered properly via
> osmarenderer:
> http://christeck.de/stuff/natural-water03.png
>
> Is this only a display weakness in josm and I don't need to care about
> it? I didn't trust it, so I only commited the ways as such to osm, not
> tagged as natural=water.
>
> Comments?

Are you using the custom version of JOSM, with "colour ways according to
tagging" checked?  If you are I noticed a similar effect on a lake at
http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?lat=50.72998735000275&lon=-1.1476389736472354&zoom=15

With "colour ways according to tagging" unchecked the way looks as I would
have expected, ie the outline of the lake is correct, but when "colour ways
according to tagging" is checked one corner of the lake seems to get cut
off.  As far as I can tell this is just a display problem, and the actual
way is tagged and stored correctly.

David