[OSM-talk] OSM at Home (map tiles)

OJW streetmap at blibbleblobble.co.uk
Sat Oct 7 12:10:22 BST 2006

On Saturday 07 October 2006 11:44, Etienne wrote:
> When you grab data from the OSM server via the API it returns all segments
> that cross the specified bounding box.  Osmarender, by default, calculates
> a new bounding box that includes all the segments returned from the API, so
> this is usually bigger than the area requested.

This will also become significant when we add hotspots to the maps, so that
you can click on each restaurant for it's wikipedia article.

The data I'm getting is from generator="OpenStreetMap server", and doesn't
appear to include any bounds information.  So the options are:

1) get someone from the OSM website team to add bounds to the map API

2) modify the downloaded file myself to store the bounding box that I
requested (is there a wiki page somewhere saying what format to put it in)

3) calculate the "actual" bounds of the returned OSM data (by looking at all
the nodes) and use that to correlate positions on the image with their
geographic coordinates.

Other things:
 - Do the borders have any effect
 - Do line-widths and end-caps have any effect when there's a wide road at the
edge of the image
 - What inkscape options will be most reliable when rendering (presumably
adding "bounds" information changes the "page size" in the SVG file, so I
don't need the -D tag (entire drawing) any more?)