[OSM-talk] JOSM observations from a newcomer

David Groom reviews at pacific-rim.net
Wed Oct 11 23:18:57 BST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Earl" <david at frankieandshadow.com>
To: "OSM" <talk at openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 7:03 PM
Subject: [OSM-talk] JOSM observations from a newcomer

> Having used JOSM to complete a couple of areas, I've some observations.
> Please take these in the spirit of constructive criticism - I know how
> much
> voluntary effort it takes to get this far.
>
> - I made one mistake over and over again - I kept selecting segments and
> then forgetting to make a Way before assigning properties, so I ended up
> assigning properties to the segments instead.
>
> - Assigning properties is tedious. A set of buttons to do the common
> highway=trunk etc, and name= -> pop up box for name would be really
> useful.
> Minimising the number of key and mouse clicks is my concern.

I think what you are after is the "annotation presets".

Just below the "layers panel" on the right hand side of the JOSM editor you
should see what looks at first sight like a blank drop down list.  Click the
drop down arrow, and you will get some types of annotation you may want to
use.  These presets are stored in the file which defined in
Edit>Preferences, then third button down - under "annotation preset
sources".  It's been some time since I did a clean installation of JOSM, so
cant remember what the default preset file looks like.  I've attached my
preset file to this email, which hopefully will get displayed on the mailing
list, by looking at the structure of this file you should be able to add in
any missing keys etc which you frequently use.

p.s welcome to OSM
David