[OSM-talk] JOSM observations from a newcomer

Immanuel Scholz immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Thu Oct 12 09:43:44 BST 2006

Hi,

> - I made one mistake over and over again - I kept selecting segments and
> then forgetting to make a Way before assigning properties, so I ended up
> assigning properties to the segments instead.

When Annotation presets are in place and configured properly, You will not
be able to select way-annotations when having only segments selected. Once
the primary way of setting properties are via selection of annotations
instead of hacking them manually again, users will remember to create a
way when they miss their annotations in the list ;)

> - Assigning properties is tedious. A set of buttons to do the common
> highway=trunk etc, and name= -> pop up box for name would be really
> useful. Minimising the number of key and mouse clicks is my concern.

Again, as Etienne pointed out, this can be achieved by specifying
annotation presets. You can insert locations of those preset files in the
preferences page. The format is an XML file, specified in
http://josm.eigenheimstrasse.de/wiki/AnnotationPresets. (Its not that
hard, try it for yourself! ;)

> - Short cut to defining all the segments, then going over them again to
> select them, and then making them into a Way: how about a mode which both
> creates a segment and adds to the previous Way at the same time (or starts
> a new Way if you haven't just done one). Even better, combine with adding
> nodes, so I can create a Way by just clicking along my tracklog (a rubber
> band to the previous point would also be helpful while doing this).

As pointed out before, this is in the working pipeline. There exist a
custom build JOSM version made by NickW about somewhat similar, but it
hasn't been integrated into the main trunk yet.

> - How do I merge two ways into one?
> - How do I split one Way into two?

The former was suggested before at http://josm.eigenheimstrasse.de/ticket/8.
The latter now is http://josm.eigenheimstrasse.de/ticket/35 ;-)