[OSM-talk] National Byway

Fri Oct 13 12:31:39 BST 2006

The National Byway is a UK cycle-route project, a bit like the
National Cycle Network but on a smaller scale - it's essentially one
long route with a few "loops" along the way. Route map at
http://www.thenationalbyway.org/national_map.asp .

Their map page at http://www.thenationalbyway.org/maps_sale.asp reports:

"We are often asked why we do not make our maps available for
downloading from this site - it is a matter of map size. The regions
of the Byway are up to 400 miles in length and cover considerable
geographic areas of Britain. Even at a scale of 3 miles to the inch,
the regional Byway route maps consist of up to 24 panels 210x135mm.
This would require considerable time, colour ink and printing to
download, followed by a major cellotape-assisted project to stick them
together! It is not practical. There is also the question of ownership
and licensing of cartography which still has to be resolved."

<puts on cape>
Sounds like a job for OpenStreetMap...

I'm raising this now because I know there's at least one part of the
Byway in Rutland which we can survey this weekend. But if you see
National Byway signs on your surveying travels anywhere, please tag
accordingly. I'd suggest route=ncn, ncn_ref=National Byway.

One fly in the ointment is that, as an extremely dubious cost-saving
measure, the Byway loops are often signposted in one direction only.

cheers
Richard

(Incidentally, +1 for combining talk-midlands and talk-london into
talk-uk for matters like this.)