[OSM-talk] Mapping with no GPS data

Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany) openstreetmap at ostertag.name
Tue Oct 17 13:12:10 BST 2006

> I add some segments on the map for roads I don't know anything about,

This is the same I do. I give away my NaviGPS to other people to collect
Tracks. So most of the time the only thing I know is that they were driving
the road with a car.

> based on tracks given by friends and co-workers (and I will have more
> and more soon. I just ordered a naviGPS to lend them).

I still have over 900 unprocessed Tracks from Friends, Coworkers and
myself :-( And it's getting more and more every day.

> To see all those
> segments in osmabrowser or other apps that use the default osmarender

> It makes much more sense to display them as "work in progress" (with a
> special color and line style).

For me it would also make much sense to have all of them displayed in a
special color (light grey) to see that the road exists as track, but is not
currently taged.
My Idea is that people without a gps living in the area with the segments
created have enough knowledge to add ways and tags to the segments. This way
we could easily split the workload for creating our complete dataset.

-
Joerg