[OSM-talk] "created_by='JOSM'"

Immanuel Scholz immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Wed Oct 18 11:23:31 BST 2006

> Is there a way to set JOSM to put created_by='<me>' rather than 'JOSM',
> which it seems to insert automatically; or do I have to (indeed can I
> without JOSM replacing it) tediously add the property each time I add a
> node, segement and way?

The first time introduced, created_by was meant for debugging, so errors
made by JOSM can be tracked back to the editor. It was *not* meant for
people entering their own name there. This information is stored within
the server anyway (which loginname entered which change to the data) but
not directly exposed via the API (so JOSM cannot display it).

Later, I removed the tagging for 2 to 3 weeks and immediatly got circa 5
emails from different people complaining about the missing tag. ;-)

As JOSM become more popular, this tag looks more silly to me, and maybe it
is time to try to remove it again without fuel the anger of my user
base...? :-D

Ciao, Imi