[OSM-talk] Osmarender icons

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Sun Oct 22 18:45:51 BST 2006

I said last week I would do some icons systematically for missing ones
(where relevant). I've done quite a few now.

I think it would be helpful to show the default renderings of all the map
features in http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Map_Features in a
separate column in the tables, including examples of how areas are rendered
and so on: essentially a key.

What I therefore propose to do unless people object is:

(a) add such a column, with the icon in it, or a section of way or example
of area rendering (it will take a bit of time to do them all)

(b) put a link there to the svg page (svg isn't of much interest to the
typical user of this page, but is an obvious conection), where svg is
relevant

(c) split the table in Proposed_features into two: one for proposed
features, and one for proposed icons for existing features. Put a 'see
proposed' link in the Map_Features where relevant.

(d) once accepted, show the icon to the main Map_Features page and upload
the SVG to the SVG_Symbols page at the same time, as per (a), and provide a
new osm-map-features.xml file. (Actually I'll probably do that anyway when
proposing, with the proposed icons commented out).

Is that OK?

(I've determined that I can convert SVG from Adobe Illustrator which I'm
using for the designs into the required xml form, so even though I'll upload
pngs in the first insance, I do have the SVG)

David.