[OSM-talk] New Popular Edition maps, and postcode collection

Mike Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Tue Oct 24 23:45:01 BST 2006

At 07:45 AM 24/10/2006, David Sheldon wrote:
>As some of you already know, we've been working with scans of the
>1930s/40s OS maps from the New Popular Edition.
>
>We have tiles of all of the England and Wales, and have put them up on
>  http://www.npemap.org.uk

Excellent work!  Simple and elegant to use. I was able to very
quickly bring up locations and add postcodes. I'm now in the process
of digging out old address books for places I've visited and urge
more Brits to do the same.  I looked at the freethepostcode
collection just a week ago and found it had just 1,251 entries. At
the postal district level (the left-hand side of a UK post code)
there are just over 3,000 unique values needed - an achievable goal
with an application like this.

Mike
Oz